In the 1920s, developers Roy and Helen Brooke found suitable land along the south fork of the Cosumnes in the Bridgeport district, and developed River Pines Resort to sell cabin sites. By damming the river, the resort developed water activities and sports. With the resort thriving for a time, the Brookes subdivided more land for lots. In time, the resort became just another rural, remote community with a post office and store and lots of privacy. By May of 1926, Brooke had engaged Cassius M Phinney, surveyor and civil engineer, to subdivide some of the property bounded northerly by the Cosumnes River, and southerly by the Plymouth-Aukum county road.